Deleted

Discuss your period and antique jewelry.

Deleted

Postby terryda » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:41 am

Deleted
Last edited by terryda on Wed May 08, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
terryda

Re: Granat Bros engagement ring

Postby mark@rubylane » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:07 am

I have to go to second hand information on this one, passed onto me by my Father, a jeweler from 1947 until the early 21st century. According to that, Granat Brothers was a manufacturer and retailer. They produced high quality die struck mountings. The retail end of the operation was acquired by Zale corporation in the 1960s, and the manufacturing end was acquired by someone else. This party continued to make mountings, without the Granat Brothers name, on sub-contracts with other jewelry firms. J. C. Keppie, a fine diamond firm specializing in Ideal Cut diamonds, sold some of these mountings in the 1970s and 1980s, but they bore the J. C. Keppie mark, not the Granat mark.

When Granat mountings were no longer available from Granat, Dad's store acquired the Jabel line, which they felt was comparable to Granat for high quality.

The retail operation was in San Francisco, and I think Zales made it part of their guild store division, along with Bailey, Banks, and Biddle and some of the other fine quality stores they acquired.

One thing I am sure of: When Dad got married in 1950 he went with a Granat Brothers mounting, because it was the finest available.

You may want to consider reusing the mounting or semi-mounting with sidestones, due to its high quality, perhaps mounting a colored gemstone in it and re-using the center diamond in a new setting/

Confession: During the high gold prices c. 1980, I melted about 100 old Granat mountings and bands, sure that those 1940s and 50s retro styles would never come back! Serious error in judgment there.
mark@rubylane

deleted

Postby terryda » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Deleted
Last edited by terryda on Wed May 08, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
terryda

Re: Granat Bros engagement ring

Postby mark@rubylane » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:47 am

The most important questions are:
a. Do you like the ring? Would you wear the current ring, if intact?
b. Is the ring intact?

If you like the piece and would wear it, I would recommend that you find a local jeweler, one with some expertise in working with platinum, that you are comfortable working with. Have the jeweler thoroughly examine the ring, making sure all prongs are substantial and all stones are secure. Minor scratches and scuffs can be minimized by buffing and polishing.

If you decide to remount the piece, you can either have all stones removed and reused , or some stones removed and reused. If you just reuse the center stone, it would be possible to have a colored gemstone placed back into the original ring. Some alteration may be needed, depending on the size of stone needed. If you have no interest in keeping leftover stones or components from the original ring, many jewelers would give you a trade allowance for the materials. If you decide to just reuse the center diamond in another piece, you can set the original mounting with the smaller stones aside, and do something with it at a later time. If you remove the smaller stones for reuse in a new piece, the original mounting will probably be beyond any possibility of practical restoration and reuse.

I personally find the ring to be a classic and timeless style. However, I won't be the one wearing it. Give it a bit of thought, as some actions may be permanent and irreversible.
mark@rubylane

Return to Period and Antique Jewelry