Granat Bros. ring dish?

The place for hallmark discussions (please attach images when appropriate).

Granat Bros. ring dish?

Postby garyblackwell » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:32 am

Hello, my name is Gary and on the search for any information regarding a "dish" given to me twenty years ago. Not sure if its a jewelry dish or ash tray or what? It is approximately 2.5"x2.5" square, is a almost brownish smoked glass and very thin. It has like a gold leaf writing with Granat Bros. Jewelry Since 1905 and lastly, it is kept in a ugly green, soft pouch. I have tried many different websites and only get lead back to nowhere! Any information from anyone would be great! And my picture file size is too big to attach a picture
garyblackwell

Re: Granat Bros. ring dish?

Postby mark@rubylane » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Granat Brothers was a fine jewelry manufacturer, well known for die-struck high quality diamond mountings and wedding bands. They also ran retail operations in the San Francisco area. At some time-I think the early 1960s-Zales acquired their retail operations. Their manufacturing dies were acquired by another party. I have never seen a piece like you describe. It may have been a giveaway item in their store, or perhaps a piece of signage for the cases of retailers that sold Granat rings. My family handled Granat rings at their store in Pennsylvania, but I never saw any branded display pieces like that. It sounds small for a practical dish, and if flat I would assume a signage piece for a jewelry display. There is another contemporary jewelry operation in California, using the Granat Brothers name, and I have no idea of what connection, if any, it bears to the original manufacturer and retailer. Zales eventually phased the name out, renaming all their high end guild stores as Bailey, Banks and Biddle stores.
mark@rubylane

Postby garyblackwell » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Thank you! Your information is greatly appreciated! The dish is rather small but as far as flat, it is more shaped like an ashtray, but too "classy" to use as one. I too was figuring it to be a free give a way gift to a customer. Maybe at one time it could have been used to display a piece in a display case, One would asked why it is accompanied by a soft little storage pouch! The California based operation is Lang's Jewelers and I have sent a couple messages there way but have received no response back. I dont want to call as it is hard to explain over the phone what I have! Again, I Thank You, Mark, for your insight. I will keep the forum posted as my "investigation" progresses.
Happy New Year!
garyblackwell

Postby Aztecrob » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Gary, wondering if you have ever heard any additional information on the Granat Bros glass tray. I have two of the same that were in some old family boxes. Would appreciate any additional information you may have. Thanks!
Aztecrob

Postby Coliver0311 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:10 pm

My maiden name is Granat and heard about Granat Bros. jewelers on a PBS program. I started searching for information and stumbled across 2 dishes that you describe. Mine both have a small card inside the bag that says," Please keep me handy at bedside, bath or dressing table. You'll discover that I'm an ideal " resting spot" for your precious rings. And keep the protective bag, too, for a jewelry travel case. " So they are indeed rind dishes. I gave one to my sister and have kept one for myself. Some day I hope to own a Granat Bros. ring to place on it.
Coliver0311

Postby mark@rubylane » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Great to have a member of the Granat family adding that last note. This appears to identify the piece as a promotional piece given away in conjunction with the Granat rings. Since we have access to a family member, they may be able to clarify a few points.
-I always understood that Granat was both a manufacturer and a retailer, so the items may actually be associated with the retail end of the operations.
-I always understood that Zales bought the retail end of the operation, but the manufacturing end was sold to someone else in California.

BTW-to the member of the Granat family. Your relatives made great jewelry!
mark@rubylane

Return to Hallmarks